This is a serious question I have for you. Just to be clear, let me explain what I mean. Whatever your daily/weekly habits are — and by that I mean your habitual thoughts, the things you take in (not just food, but what you see, taste, touch, feel, etc.), what you do with your time, energy, and money, the people you surround yourself with, etc. — these things define you. They define who you are and how you are showing up in your life, but they also define where you are going. That’s what I mean by “trajectory.”
You see, whether you (or I) are conscious of it, or not, we tend to keep doing/saying/thinking the same things day after day. People don’t mean to choose to be stagnant, but without regular “big picture” thinking and without learning how to evolve the way we spend our time/energy/money, chances are we aren’t going anywhere we haven’t already been.
It can feel difficult to change. As I just mentioned, “know-how” is often a factor, but another lesser talked about cause of stagnation is an attachment to how things are. There can be a comfort in the pain, as in maybe it “seems” more comfortable to stay stuck where you are than to trade it for something you don’t even know if you can achieve. This is NOT the voice of Truth, or even the voice of Reason (because, no doubt, Reason would say, “You’ve been here and you know this isn’t going anywhere. You’d be better off trying something different, and fast!“). This is the voice of Self-Doubt, and in order to conquer it, I suggest IGNORING IT, because entertaining it gets you absolutely NOWHERE FAST and the more you listen, the more it talks! Seriously! At each new stage of our growth, there is resistance. This will not change.
Growth may not always be “comfortable”, but everything that you crave so deeply (and is your birthright!) — Wholeness, Ease, Vitality, Freedom, Pleasure, Connection, Time for Yourself, Vibrant Health, and Joy — is on the other side of that resistance. The other side of fear.
I was in South Dakota for a Yoga Health Coaching retreat a couple weeks ago. We talked about Evolution a LOT! My teacher talked about how there are three basic trajectories for people — one that is narrowing, one that is stagnant, and one that is ever-expanding. Let me explain…
- Many people get more and more narrow in their trajectory throughout their lives — not intentionally, but it happens. How many people do you know that are walking around as a lesser version of themselves than when you first knew them? Most of our planet, I’m sure! That’s kind of the common knowledge that’s put out, right? Over time, you get older, lamer, less fun, your health dwindles, and your heading towards the grave. Am I right (I mean about the message we receive)? It’s not TRUE at all, but that’s what most people expect (sadly), and that belief/expectation becomes their self-fulfilling prophecy.
- In the stagnant trajectory, we stay kind of dumb to the intelligence of our physiology and our potential. There’s just no real progression in our lives. We experience dis-EASE as a consequence for our habits that don’t serve us, but we make no changes.
- And then we have my personal favorite — the Expanding Spiral! When we are on this trajectory, we continue to learn from our mistakes, tap into the wisdom of our physiology, LEAN INTO our GROWING EDGES and actually LIVE OUR EVER-GROWING POTENTIAL!
If we don’t say YES to wanting more and invest in new ways of growing, then we will keep doing the same thing we’ve always done.
If you’re interested in learning more about how to CHANGE YOUR TRAJECTORY, I have two suggestions —
- Sign Up for my 5 Day Challenge “Reclaim Your Life & Body!” ASAP. We start TODAY, but if you’re reading this late, you can still join us! Click HERE to Sign Up!
- Schedule a Wellness Strategy Session with me to get clear on your trajectory and how you to change it! Click the button below!